Tuesday 23 March 2010

BANKSIDE GALLERY EXHIBITION 29 APRIL - 3 MAY 2010


THIS EXHIBITION IS ORGANISED BY THE SOUTH LONDON WOMEN ARTISTS GROUP

I am exhibiting this painting at the Bankside Gallery exhibition from 29 April to 3 May 2010.
The painting is oil on canvas.
Painted in 2009, it was inspired by the Smithfield Nocturne cycle race held in June every year at the famous Smithfield Market in London.

I have painted three cycle race pictures recently, the last one in acrylic, which I like, but the selection committee of SLWA chose this one. I submitted all three for their decision. This one is the second one I painted. I found the buildings quite difficult to depict as I wanted, to suggest both the soft evening light of a summer evening, the bright orangey lights of the huge round-topped windows, and the dark, seedy shuttered side of the Smithfiled Market, which was all closed up because it was a Sunday.

Title: SMITHFIELD NOCTURNE CYCLING,
Measurements: 63cm x 93cm

Bankside Gallery is on the Thames Path near the Tate Modern.
Open 11-6 daily, admission free.
Address
48 Hopton Street, London, SE1 9JH

No comments: