Wednesday 25 April 2012

LONDON MARATHON APRIL 2012

SUNDAY, 22 APRIL LONDON MARATHON, 2012

I went to see the runners again this year. As last year, I made my way to Wesminster Tube station, and admired the interior escalator and exit of the tube station yet again, it's in the Brutalist style!

Once outside the sun was shining and the large plane trees looked very lovely, in small leaf.  By the river, on the Embankment, I stood and did this pen drawing. 
Waiting for the runners, near Wesminster Bridge


I got talking to a man who said he drove a minibus up to London every year with his local running club, from Berkshire, and he said it was a great occasion which ended in a celebratory meal in a local pub in the evening.  He said he had been doing it for 30 years, and was now 70, so this would be his last year (something to do with insurance, I think).

This year I was not in such a good position for taking photos, but was able to get a shot of the Women Elite runners, powering through.  The Kenyan women were in the lead, including Edna Kiplagat, who was third last year.  I made a painting which included an image of her, which will be at Bankside Gallery soon.

Edna Kiplagat runs 2012 Marathon


This year Mary Keitany won the women's title.  I did not see the winners and their triumph until I got home later, when I watched it on the TV.  It is very exciting, though, even if you cannot see  the winners.  The atmosphere is frenetic, and what makes it even better is the crowd of supporters, including children (and dogs), shouting their encouragement.

BANKSIDE GALLERY,  GROUP EXHIBITION OF SOUTH LONDON WOMEN ARTISTS.

It starts on Wednesday, 2 May and is on for a week.  There will be work from about 100 artists, all kinds of painting and sculpture.

Edna runs London Marathon, 2011, oil on canvas



No comments: